Pages

Monday 4 November 2013

Autistics Speaking Day (A Few Days Late...)

Matt over at Dude, I'm An Aspie posted this amazing blog in honor of November 1st being Autistics Speaking Day.

Matt is a great blogger and artist who was one of the first autism advocates I really related to when I discovered him online.

I spent Autistics Speaking Day doing what I love - SPEAKING about autism and fighting for the rights of Autistic individuals.  Unfortunately, the weekend was super busy and I really haven't had a chance to talk about any of that on here.  But since I've wanted to talk about Matt's adorable post, because I think it is so relatable and if you haven't seen it, it's worth checking out.

In Matt's post from his Dude, I'm an Aspie blog (I linked it above), he talks about the "monsters" of autism.  He describes these as the individuals who pretend they're on the side of Autistics but really they're spouting nonsense or pushing their own agendas and causing genuine danger to Autistics.  These are the people who spread paranoia.  These are the people who treat Autistics as less than human.  These are the people who firmly believe that autism is a disease that needs a cure and Autistics would be much better off if they weren't Autistic.


I've tried and failed to write a post for Autistics Speaking Day and then a lot of life things came up and now it's November 4th so hopefully I'll get a chance to talk about that but I'm not making any promises.

Regardless, I think the most important thing to take away from Autistics Speaking Day is that Autistic individuals need to have a voice when it comes to issues that concern us, and Autistic individuals deserve the same dignity and respect that anyone else would deserve.

We need to speak up for ourselves and not let our voices be drowned out by people whose agendas might not be as pure.

"Be loud!"

No comments:

Post a Comment