Pages

Monday 4 March 2013

If Your Friend Is Autistic

I wish I had more friends.  But I also don’t want them.
I wish I went out more.  But I also don’t want to.
Social anxiety gets me every time I try to be an extrovert.
Autism keeps me from succeeding in relationships.  
Some days, I feel sad and alone.  

Someone once came up with the misconception that autistics don't enjoy socializing or that people with Asperger's Syndrome are all eccentric savants who sit around alone all day, trying to solve the mysteries of the universe.  

I'm not one of those people.  I mean, sometimes, I am one of those people.  A lot of time.  And unmedicated, I am very antisocial.  

But I am also a social creature, especially when I take my medication properly.  

I don't enjoy large groups, but I do love having friends.  I don't always want to be with people, but sometimes I crave interaction.  I don't always need to talk or text and sometimes my phone drives me crazy, but other times it feels good to feel wanted.  
I have social anxiety, like a lot of autistic people.  But I am still a social person.  I still have a strong desire to have friends and be in relationships.  I still have a strong desire to be needed by others.  I think that's a human quality.  I don't think it has to be with being autistic or being neurotypical; I think humans are social creatures and we all - deep down somewhere - crave friendship and interaction.  

It just felt like something I should share.  Because I hate stereotypes about autistic people.  And if your friend has autism, you shouldn't ignore them.  Ever.  Because autistic people (I'm generalizing here - sorry - but it applies for me) might not always be the best at telling you how much we appreciate your friendship, but we do.

No comments:

Post a Comment