Pages

Monday 25 March 2013

Being Human

The blog has been on a bit of a hiatus recently because I've been distracted with many things and, frankly, haven't felt the inspiration to write about much of anything.  I have been going about my daily life as "normal" as I usually do. I have been enjoying social time and enjoying solitary time.  I have been watching television and reading books.  I have been doing all my housekeeping duties like eating healthy food, doing my laundry, and going to bed at a reasonable hour.  I have been existing and I have felt pleasant.
I tend to focus on my peculiarities here because they are more interesting to dissect than the things that make me "normal."  I am autistic, and inherently, autistics all tend to be a little bit "different."
But so often, I display traits just like any neurotypical.  I am hungry, for example.  I am thirsty.  I'm tired and I'm cranky because I am craving raisins but I don't have any in my fridge.  I am running out of shampoo and I'm frustrated that I'm going to have to go buy groceries soon.  I'll probably also have to buy raisins.
I could come up with something to say about every one of those things that specifically relates to my autism.  Grocery shopping is anxiety-provoking for me, for example, and that is because my Asperger's Syndrome makes me very sensitive to bright lights and bright colors and the disorder and chaos that abound in grocery stores.  And that's not even to mention all the noises - I have a very difficult time processing auditory stimuli and get overstimulated very easily - and all the people - I haveff always suffered from social anxiety and have a severe aversion to 'small talk.'
But my point here is that as I "other" myself - as much as many autistics tend to "other" ourselves - from neurotypicals, we are all, inherently, the same.
We are all human.
We all get hungry, we all get tired, we all want, and we all need.
We are human.

No comments:

Post a Comment